15 Mart 2010 Pazartesi

Setting the clock forward in Turkish-Armenia relations

Setting the clock forward in Turkish-Armenia relations

Friday, March 12, 2010

VERCİHAN ZİFLİOĞLU

ISTANBUL - Hürriyet Daily News

A new watch inspired by an old sundial will be dedicated to peace between Turkey and Armenia, says Bedros Tanışman, a Turkish-Armenian master watchmaker who has designed timepieces for the biggest names in the international luxury-watch industry. While not forgetting the past, he says, it is important to look forward

Award-winning watchmaker Bedros Tanışman.

A Swiss-based watchmaker is crafting a new timepiece with an ancient name as a testimony to peace in his two homelands, Turkey and Armenia.

Award-winning watchmaker Bedros Tanışman, the owner of renowned watch brand Peter Tanisman, visited Istanbul earlier this week on a business trip and spoke to the Hürriyet Daily News & Economic Review, describing the city as his “indispensable breath.”

“It is not possible for Turks and Armenians to be pulled apart from each other,” said Tanışman, 52. “I do not have a political stance, but I’d like to give a message to the world: Do not cast a shadow [over Turkish-Armenian relations].”

Recently, Tanışman has been working on a special watch called “Gnomon,” after the ancient Greek word meaning “indicator,” “one who discerns” or “that which reveals.” The word was used to describe a crucial part of ancient sundials.

“During one of my visits to Armenia, I came upon a sundial on the wall of a monastery that was thousands of years old,” the watchmaker said. “That impressed me tremendously. I will combine a modern technique with my own style and make Gnomon live again.”

Tanışman said he is giving a symbolic value to the soon-to-be-unveiled design. “I will dedicate it to the peaceful future of Turkish and Armenian peoples,” he said. “I cannot discern between the two and both are very important for me. Let us put our clocks forward, not backward, without denying the pain of the past. Let every tick remind us of peace, friendship and the beautiful days of our future.”

The watchmaker’s awards

The well-known timepiece designer has also created “24 Hours,” a special watch for Turkey. “I tried to merge the Ottomans and Turkey with my imagination,” he said. “I used turquoise, while the numbers are different than what is common.”

Tanışman’s mother’s roots go back to the northern Anatolian province of Amasya while his father’s ancestors came from the central province of Sivas. He told the Daily News that he started working with jewelry as an apprentice in Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar, like many Anatolian Armenians, and dreamed of becoming the best jeweler in Turkey.

But in 1982, when he was only 24, he accepted a once-in-a-lifetime offer from luxury watchmaker Cartier to move to Europe and work in Switzerland. Since then, Tanışman’s exclusive designs have made their mark throughout the world. He has produced designs for Piaget, Chopard and Audemars Piguet, in addition to Cartier.

Tanışman founded his own brand, called Peter Tanışman, in 2008. The same year, his “Carousel” design, an 83,000-euro watch studded with 552 diamonds, all placed by hand, ranked in the global top 10 at the “Grand Prix de l’Horlogerie de Beneve” contest. Another one of his designs for Piaget was selected as number one in the contest.

Future plans

Tanışman has traditionally made his watchbands with leather produced from alligators and stingrays, a practice he says he is increasingly regretting. “Until today, I used leather from animals, but my conscience tells me to stop,” he said. “Most probably, I will not use animal leather in my new designs.”

Although he declined to reveal names, Tanışman has made expensive watches for a long list of the rich and powerful. “My customers include royal families, Arab sheiks, Hollywood stars and members of global high society,” he said. “[But] our craft has a principle of confidentiality.”

Tanışman’s brand is now preparing to enter the Turkish market.

“There is an abundant demand here for luxury goods,” he said. “I was born in this land and I will be back with a brand that bears my name.”

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder